A+ Resources For Students
Higher and Standard Grade English Tips
Example paper 1 - Close Reading Questions - Fictional Universes Article
1. Explain in your own words the comparison the author makes between ‘crank’ scientists and fans of science fiction in lines 1-6.
2. Briefly state the contrast made between a 'continuity error' in 'normal movie parlance' and the 'continuity error' to science fiction fans in paragraph 2.
3. Explain how the sentence structure of paragraph 3 helps to convey the thinking of science fiction fans.
4. From paragraph 4, why do you need a 'suspension of disbelief' in order to enjoy a fictional story in as book or movie?
5. How does the writer create an ironic tone in paragraph 4? Your answer may feature word choice, sentence structure, or contrast.
6. How does paragraph 6 act as a link with the beginning of the passage?
7. How effective do you find the examples of either the Crucifixion or the Inuit in paragraph 7, as 'continuity errors' in a theory?
E / A (2)
8. Explain the meaning of 'In come the rationalizations to save the day', in the context of the final paragraph.
9. In your own words, what comment do you think the writer is making about human nature in this passage?
E / U (2)
Question on both passages
Each writer has reflected on there being an obsessive fan of something. Which did you find more interesting or entertaining? You should refer to the ideas of both passages in your answer.
Other Tips Pages
|Revision Tips:||GCSE English, GCSE Maths, GCSE Geography, GCSE Science, and Exam Revision Tips|
|Coursework Tips:||English (general), Higher and Standard Grade English, Maths and Science .|
|Other Tips:||Stress management and tele-tutoring.|